If you have been unfortunate enough to be charged with a DUI in California, you know that the consequences can be extremely serious. In addition to the criminal DUI case you will be dealing with, you will also have to contend with the DMV. The California DMV does offer an opportunity for those convicted of California DUI to regain their driving privileges on condition that they have an ignition interlock device installed in their car. The ignition interlock device must be from an approved provider, such as Smart Start of California, and must be calibrated every 60 days (at a minimum).
For those individuals who qualify to receive a California driver’s license on condition that they keep an ignition interlock installed in their car, Smart Start of California can help. Generally, if you have completed at least half of your drunk driving suspension/revocation, and your last drunk driving violation occurred July 1, 1999, or later, you may qualify for a restricted license if you meet these requirements:
- Install an ignition interlock device on your vehicle and provide DMV with a Verification of Installation form (DL 920).
- Clear all other outstanding suspensions/revocations on your driving record.
- Comply with a drinking driver program’s requirements and have the program provider submit either a Proof of Enrollment form (DL 107) or Notice of Completion form (DL 101) to DMV (whichever applies to your case).
- Submit an SR 22 form establishing proof of financial responsibility issued by your auto insurance company to DMV.
- Pay all required fees, including the $15 ignition interlock device restriction fee.
NOTE: Call the California DMV at (916) 657-6525 for eligibility information, or simply contact Smart Start of California, and we will be happy to assist you. We can be reached toll-free, 24/7, at 1-888-289-5669.
All required forms and fees may be submitted to any local Department of Motor Vehicles office or mailed to: DMV, Mail Station J233, P.O. Box 942890, Sacramento, CA 94290-0001.
Both the DMV case and the criminal court case following a DUI can give rise to the need for an ignition interlock device. If you’ve been arrested for a California DUI, you should consult with a drunk driving lawyer at once. (See our Helpful Links page for more information on California DUI lawyers or drunk driving defense attorneys that can help.)
Smart Start of California is one of the few licensed ignition interlock providers in California, and we are here to help you navigate the process of properly restoring your driving privileges by way of an ignition interlock device installed in your car. If you’ve been convicted of DUI, drunk driving, or any related drinking and driving offense, please call on us today to see if an ignition interlock device will assist you in regaining your California driving privileges. Call us anytime, day or night: 1-888-289-5669.